Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Pain in the back

It's been one week since we've had our new bed from Costco, the Grande Elegance. Doesn't it sound just dreamy?

The bed comes in a box, and the instructions state it will take about 72 hours to fully decompress, but it also states you should be able to sleep on it the first night.

The first night, I had the worst night's sleep that I can remember. Although, I'm not sure I can really use the word sleep, more or less tossing and turning. My back hurt, but the worst was my arms and legs. It felt like I had slept on the floor all night. This bed is FIRM. Not exactly what I expected from this description:

"
Your comfort begins with the breathable, top layer of one inch patented memory foam. The second layer of three inches of premium density memory foam along with the one-inch top layer, are supported by an engineered layer of patented high resilient poly spring foam. These three layers are then mounted on a seven-inch layer of polymer enriched base foam creating a sleep system second to none."

Finally, around 5:30am, I couldn't take it anymore. I got up, and paced the house. I checked more reviews on-line, but I couldn't find any bad reviews, only how this was such a wonderful bed, and blah blah blah.

Then I hear Michael get up. I was dying to hear what he thought. I walk in the room, and he proclaims "I love this bed! That was the best nights sleep I've had since I can remember!" He knew something was wrong since my jaw dropped and I was shooting daggers at him. So, we agree we'll wait the 72 hours for me to make up my mind.

After 7 full nights, the bed is still awful, and Michael loves it. What to do...? We decide to switch places last night.

Now, I admit, his side is a bit softer, but still, not very comfortable. He wakes up and said "There's something wrong with the bed. My arms and back hurt."

Now what? Well, he thinks it could be the box spring (I think it's the bed). So, couple things to try. Rotate the bed, and see if my side is still bad. Also, he wants to try putting plywood between the mattress and box spring.

I'm game for trying, but not sure how much more I can take. Maybe we got a defect?

1 comment:

Mark said...

This is the great cheap Costco knockoff mattress right? Smart people... I think I heard once that you get what you pay for, and for certain things it's never worth it to try and save a few pennies.

I'd suggest that you just switch sides every night so that you're equally rested/exhausted.