Monday, October 20, 2008

Aversion to spackle

I hate spackle. No, I mean I REALLY HATE SPACKLE. It's gotten so bad, that I physically cringe whenever I see or smell it. And I see it a lot...



So, I understand that plaster walls, after sitting around for 86 years, will settle and crack. Sure they're prone to bulging a little, sagging a little, it's what happens after all that time. Again, I get it. But this is beyond your normal wear and tear aging... I can't explain it. Well, I can explain it... it's called painting 25 coats over old wallpaper, never patching anything, and letting paint drips dry all over the place. And just not taking care of the walls.



So, what does all this mean?

A) Put up drywall. But, we're not doing that because of the crown moldings in most rooms, and we don't want to pull them all down. Plus, plaster walls really do add some charm...

B) Re-plaster the walls. But again, not doing it because, well, that's a hell of a lot of work.

C) Spackle the problem spots. Yep, chose this option. This option sucked, hence my aversion to spackle...


(Michael taunting me with the spackle...)

3 comments:

Mark said...

You need to think of this as a good, happy, making this really your home, type of experience - so you can look back later and know that the place is that nice just because of the hard work that you put into it.

Yeah, that's it. I've heard that it's easier to spackle when enjoying a nice merlot, is that true?

heather said...

Of course I look at it that way, I'm just saying... spackle sucks.

We are definitely making it our own, there will be a lot of work involved, but it's fun work, not work work... except for the spackle.

And yes, a nice merlot, cab, shiraz, hell - even white... makes the spackle and sanding much much easier. (Especially when Michael falls on his ass while doing it... yep, got pictures of that too).

Anonymous said...

I'm bulging and sagging after only 43 years! :) (shudder to think what I'll look like at year 86!)