Sunday, November 16, 2008

The bungalow is not a boat...

Shortly after we closed on the house, the area had some of the worst storms and flooding ever. Luckily, our house survived without any water at all.

It wasn't so lucky with Hurricane Michael and Heather.

First came Hurricane Michael, and my Sophies Choice moment. I heard Michael calling "Help... Help!" from the basement. I ran downstairs to discover the basement flooding in the laundry room. Water was gushing everywhere. I thought that's what the call for help was for, but no, Michael was trying to move a huge TV, by himself, and while he was carrying it, his shirt got stuck on something, and he was left holding the TV, while stuck. I stood there, pivoting from foot to foot, unsure what to do first. But we're flooding! I yelled. He had no idea what I was talking about, so I made the wise choice, help Mike, so he can take care of the flooding. Luckily, we have a drain in the laundry room, and most of the water had run down the drain.

Turns out, when the washer empties into the utility sink, it would be unwise to leave clothes in the sink, to stop up the drain. Lesson learned.

Next came Hurricane Heather. I've been recovering from being sick, so it's really the only explanation I can offer for my stupidity. So, I stop up the kitchen sink to do some dishes, you know, let them soak a bit. So, I leave the water running, and walk away. And forget. And get sidetracked. And, again, I was SICK! Wasn't thinking straight.

So, I come back awhile later, and all the water is rushing onto the counter, to the side of the cabinet and wall. CRAP. Turn off the water, clean up the mess, and hope it doesn't get moldy behind the cabinet.

About 1/2 hour later, I'm telling Mike what had happened, and his response was, "Any water in the basement?" Hmmm... water in the basement? Didn't check.

Open the basement door to find the stairs are soaked. And a nice big puddle on the floor... with all the water.... running into the laundry room drain. It didn't get any of the boxes, that were a mere couple feet away. I LOVE the laundry room drain.

Lesson learned on this one? I'm banned from doing dishes when I'm sick (Ok, I banned myself, Mike doesn't know yet).

Last note, sitting on the couch watching the snow fall outside. Amazing how much more you like snow when you know you won't have to dig out your car the next day.

No comments: