Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Daley Craziness

Alert I just got to my email from the Chicago Trib:

"Rates for most city parking meters will increase to $1 an hour starting Jan. 1 as a result of Mayor Richard Daley's deal to lease the spots for $1.1 billion to a private firm.

Two-third of the city's meters now cost 25 cents an hour, but once the paperwork is finalized, any metered spot costing less than $1 per hour will increase to $1 next year, city officials said today. And by 2013, those same metered spots will cost $2 an hour, according to City Hall.

The most expensive meters, which are found in the Loop, cost $3 an hour now. They will increase to $3.50 an hour next year and $6.50 by 2013."

I was just commenting to Michael last week and questioning why, every time (ok, honestly, close to 60% of the time) I park at a meter, that meter doesn't work. Now it's not a biggie, I throw in a quarter, it doesn't work, I move my car, throw in another quarter. Yea, it's a pain, but less of a pain than fighting a ticket. But who the heck is going to have 4, let alone 8 quarters to park their car?! Seems a little nuts to me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good news and bad news re: parking meters. Yes, they are going to be ridiculously expensive . . . but I read somewhere they will be accepting charge cards. Really---I read it. Now are you trying to figure out what the good news is? Me, too.